I finally found the time to be experimental with the cricut cake! We all know that the cricut cake can cut fondant and gum paste but I’ve always wondered, what else can this machine cut? So I made my first attempt to use the Cricut Cake to cut cookie dough this past weekend. Although it took a few trials and errors, I was pretty satisfied with the way my cookies turned out. This is also my very first time making icing and decorating cookies. As I weighed out the pros and cons of making my own cookie dough, I opt to buy the pillsbury already made sugar cookie dough to save time.
Here are some tips and tricks on cutting cookie dough with the cricut cake:
- The Pillsbury cookie dough is very soft so I added flour to the pre-made dough. For one stick of dough, i think I added about 2 cups of flower, I think you’ll be able to determine the correct consistency as you knead the dough
- Roll the dough onto the cricut cake mat until it is about 1/8 of an inch in thickness
- Place it in the freezer for about 3 mins
- You have about a 2-4 minute window until the dough becomes soft again, and at that point you will need to freeze the dough again. If you look at the image below, the butterfly was cut right when I took it out of the freezer and the rose above it was cut last, about 5 minutes after it was removed from the freezer
- After you’ve cut the dough, I find that it is best to put it back in the freezer for a few minutes. This helps the dough hold its shape as you move it from the cricut mat to your baking sheet.
- Since the dough was rolled out thin, I baked the cookies for about 5 mins at 325 degrees
- Unfortunately I only had 1 cricut cake mat so I found that most of my time was spent waiting around for the dough to freeze. I think I could have been much more efficient if I had additional mats
Here are the results.. for a first-timer its not half bad =) I would love to hear your comments!
For this project I used the Cricute Cake Basic Cake Cartridge (click here). and I highly suggest getting some extra Cricut Cake Cutter Mats. Make sure to use the good stuff, not the cheap stuff. You can find the Cricut Cake mats online pretty cheap (click here).
Cricut Cake 12-Inch-by-12-Inch Cutting Mat, 2 Mats